Monday, June 14, 2010

Game Day












What has been going on at Grace Happens on Sunday?


This last Sunday was fun. We put G-d’s principles into practice. We had GAME DAY. Yep, you heard correctly. We had GAME day at church and I did just say G-d’s principles and games in the same sentence. Why do Christians believe you can have fun but you have to mention the word “G-D” in order to make it officially spiritual? I think Christians who attend church have this distorted image of what church is suppose to be and in order for it to be called “church” you have to have three elements:

1. A bulletin

2. 2 upbeat crazy songs and 1 quite non-meditative song

3. 1 Timed 17 minute and 59 second sermon

I am not much into formality and I structure Grace Happens without limitations and the only author of topic is love, learning, and Lord.

I think Jesus is happy with our church activity. He played games. All kids play games. I know he probably didn’t play “Trash” or “Chess” but maybe something else. We do know he loved to party and be part of family activities. The “church” lesson was to practice self-control; not just talk about it. Did we learn? Yes. There was an opportunity where Karen and Abigail (my youngest daughter) got upset with not sure how to play chess and things didn’t end with a smile. But, in the end, the lesson was learned by hugging each other as a sign of making up.

I have come to this conclusion that whether we have a yelling, crying, or smiling church session I don’t care just so we end with knowing we are free and we give each other grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment