Monday, June 21, 2010

HUGS



Maybe we should change our gathering (a.k.a. church) name to HUGS.  I had the best Sunday Father's  "Grace Happens" Day.  We talked a little bit about fathers and how my father treated me and how I treat my children.  I am very open with my family and they know they can say anything but I require honesty.  I honestly want to know how I can be better and not just hear the "good" things.  I have to say lately I have been doing less talking and more listening regardless what they say - cuss words, sex questions, fears, doubts, funny moments. 

Father's listen - if your kids can't trust you they will find that trust somewhere else.  Don't be shy and quick to talk.  I wish God put another commandment directly to parents since there is already one for children, "SHUT UP and JUST LISTEN to your CHILDREN".

Father's we are not perfect and we have to keep reminding our children that we make mistakes.  You will be amazed how forgiving children are if you repent.

The one thing I learned during our time together on Sunday is they wished I didn't have to work so many nights.  Trust me - I feel the same way.  But they do acknowledge that when I am home I spend time with them even with all the things I have to get done before bedtime each night.

Now to tell you about the cool thing - once we finish our brief conversation my youngest daughter came over to me and we hugged for what seemed like a long time.  Then she says, "GROUP HUG".  Pretty cool.  Do you have group hugs at your church?  I have never seen it done before during a service.  Are there any Pastor's out there wanting to compete for closeness.  TRY THE GOOD OLD HUG THEORY.

Next week: briefly talking about silent prayer and then practicing it.  Anyone is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment