Monday, June 28, 2010

Practicing Silence
























This weekend my oldest daughter went to a sleepover so we didn't really get a chance to wake up together on Sunday have our usual 11am worship time.  Not a bad idea to mix it up since we are such creatures of habit.  We got all of our chores done on Sunday and got into a circle on the floor and talked about SILENCE.  I knew going into this weekend what topic I wanted to talk about but sometimes I am not sure how the kids will receive it being on a more serious level of committment.  We talked about silence and then we practiced silence.

My oldest daughter had a game where you lay down and you have to sit still while being distracted and if you are distracted you are out.  My youngest daughter didn't last long and of course I WON.  I wanted to give the girls a chance to learn the importance of silence and how it helps your health, taking test, calm you down when you are angry, and prayer.  I have come to a point in my life where I can quickly get into a hypnotic state where I am calm and I can hear my heartbeat.  I had to practice this SILENCE the past week since I am interviewing for a new position.  I think it helped me be focused on listening to others and my thoughts.  The final test was a big one during out time together at GRACE HAPPENS.  I told everyone they can go anywhere (inside the house or outside) but they can not do anything of rest, think, sleep, etc but no talking or noise for 10 minutes.  We finished our 10 minutes gathers together to talk about how some had difficult times with it.  My oldest daughter is a big reader and she says, "Now, I know what it feels like when I read, 'And the house was silent'".  Karen had a difficult time staying awake.  I went upstairs and did the comfortable thing and prayed and thoughts about life.  Abby pouted and didn't like that game stating many times, "this is boring". 

Purpose of silence - to feel what God felt before creating space, time, and people.  I appreciate noise more after being silent for a period of time.  So, your assignment is with your family - set your timer for 10 minutes and be silent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment